Date:      Wed, 24 Dec 1997 11:50:31 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        grcuerrier <grcuerrier@cnwl.igs.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Lost root password

On Tue, Dec 23, 1997 at 07:48:52PM -0500, grcuerrier wrote:
> One of my techs entered a new root password, which he has forgotten.  Is
> there any way a user with "wheel" access can reset the root password
> without having to redo the whole server?

I suppose that depends on what you mean by "redo the whole server".

> Strange question I know.  I thought possibly there would be a way
> upon power up.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

You can do it if you can reboot.  Start up in single user mode:

Boot: -s
Enter name of shell, or sh to accept default: (press ENTER)
# mount -u /
# password root
Enter new password:
Enter password again:
# ^D				(enter ctrl-D to continue with startup)

Greg