Date:      Wed, 24 Nov 1999 20:27:26 -0500 (EST)
From:      Brad Karp <karp@eecs.harvard.edu>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: STRIP (was Re: richochet modems)

[forgot to cc -mobile on my reply to Matt]

To: matt@braithwaite.net

> Right.  STRIP does this too, but it's a kludge:  a central node with a
> known hardware address has to be the ``ARP server'' for everybody
> else.

Yes, my point exactly: HUMR requires no central ARP server.

> Sorry, can you explain that a little more?  Are you saying that given
> any two radios, you can set up a reliable byte stream between them
> using AT commands?

Say you have two hosts, A and B, each with a Ricochet, MAC addresses
0000-0001, and 0000-0002, respectively.

B can tell its radio:

ATS0=1

A can tell its radio:

ATDT0000-0002

This will *literally* emulate a plain-old-modem-style byte stream
connection from host A to host B. You can just use standard client and
server PPP on the hosts on either side, then. No STRIP required.

So my overall point is: for a single hop of PPP over Metricom, there's
no need to use STRIP at all. And if you want multi-access, or multi-hop, the
central ARP server STRIP requires makes HUMR more convenient.

About the newest radios' MAC addresses: yes, the string parsing routines need
to be changed accordingly. I've not done this for HUMR yet, either.

-Brad, karp@eecs.harvard.edu