Date:      20 Mar 2003 13:19:43 -0800
From:      Joel Ray Holveck <joelh@gnu.org>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   How to handle sound card patches?

I have a problem.  The csa bridge driver breaks if I try to attach the
MIDI port on my Turtle Beach Santa Cruz.  I traced the problem to a
problem with the interrupt, and patched it.

The problem is, it looks like the interrupt used to be handled the way
my new code does it, and was intentionally changed.  This was in a
batch of changes, so the CVS log is not very enlightening.

So, now I have a patch to the sound driver that is required to make it
work on my sound card, but will possibly break other CSA-based sound
cards.

Surely this comes up often, since the same driver is used for many
different sound cards.  What has the FreeBSD multimedia community done
to handle this sort of situation in the past?  What is the right way
to test this patch before I send a PR?

Thanks,
joelh

--