Date:      Sun, 2 Nov 2008 09:50:30 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Ryan <m4gicite@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Install issues with 7.x

On Wed, 29 Oct 2008, Ryan wrote:

> Hello, I purchased a new Clevo M860TU on the account that it ran linux very
> well and was hoping it would fair the same on FreeBSD. Not so much, little
> help? I posted this in mobile originally but though stable would be a better
> choice. Don't know if it is more appropriate here or ACPI.
>
> I'm giving you as much information as I know how to get. as I cannot get
> sysinstall to load I am having to type all these dmesg. The boot process is
> hanging. This is all with 7.x, I can give 6.x if needed.

xpt_config is the CAM configuration wait, so basically the system is waiting
for a storage device to report back on whether it could be used as a root file
system.

I recently saw a similar report of problems involving a firewire controller on
an nvidia motherboard following an upgrade to 7.x, and I wonder if you might
try the following: see if 6.4 will install, and if so, install it.  Then cvsup
7.x, and do a buildworld but not an installworld.  This will let you build and
experiment with 7.x kernels from a known-working environment.

Make sure to keep a working 6.x kernel around -- I suggest something like "cp
-r /boot/kernel /boot/kernel.good" before starting so you can always fall back
to a good kernel.  Now try building a 7.x kernel without USB or firewire
support, and booting that?

Also, it's worth checking there are no BIOS upgrades available for the
motherboard...

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge