Date:      Thu, 7 May 1998 20:38:15 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <dyson@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        joe.shevland@horizonti.com
Cc:        dyson@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Oracle 7 on FreeBSD

Joe Shevland said:

> > There is a group of people working on *BSD in general.  FreeBSD is
> > not dead here, and there is little that is showing that it is.  There
> > are other products, but they don't affect the use of BSD.
> >

> Quote from the Bob Marley scriptures:
>
> 'Time will Tell' :)

You might be speaking of specific projects where we aren't using
FreeBSD anymore.  I am at the main NCI location, and really do
know what is going on.

I cannot really talk about future plans, but I can say that things
are changing.  Just look at things rationally, about how self
destructive that it would be to try to use NT in appications where
FreeBSD or *BSD are vastly more suitable.  If we change directions
significantly from where it is today, it would be possible for us to
no longer use the *BSD platforms, but the flexibility that they give
us is tremendous.  We would have to make a major change in direction,
from what is going on.

Very little *significant* NT server development has been done in
the last few months, yet the BSD and other U**X development has
significant resources devoted towards it.  *BSD might not be used
forever, but for now, to start from scratch would take years with
NT.

You might be talking of the NC server or somesuch, and that itself might
be changing, but again, that has little to do with the whole picture
of how much BSD is used.