Date:      Wed, 20 Nov 2002 06:33:55 -0600
From:      Randall Stewart <randall@stewart.chicago.il.us>
To:        shubha mr <shubha_mr@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: duplicate packets in ping?

shubha mr wrote:
> Ping on my device driver (for my NIC )gives duplicate
> packets.does anyone know why they occur and how to
> eliminate them?
> thanks
> shubha

I have noticed a similar occurance in some of my SCTP testing with
all of the BSD's. In particular the linksys pcmcia cards seem to
do this. In my testing and analysis this always seems to occur
when the card is busy and what happens is you lose some packet
and another appears to be duplicated... I traced this out
with ethereal a while ago and then just stopped using that
card when I figured out it was some sort of circular buffer
issue.. I did not dig in and find out if it was the card
or driver... I rather suspect it is the card (since it is
a low end one).. but one never knows...

Randall R. Stewart
randall@stewart.chicago.il.us 815-342-5222 (cell phone)