Date:      Fri, 13 Nov 1998 15:12:54 +1100
From:      Joe Shevland <J_Shevland@TurnAround.com.au>
To:        The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        Tech1 <tech@scsr.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Detailed info on Fail-safe cluster for Freebsd/unixes

The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Nov 1998, Alex Belits wrote:
>
> > > You don't know the
> > > quality of either piece of software yet, but attitudes like that are a
> > > big reason that free software isn't more highly catered to by commercial
> > > companies.
> > >
> > > If you want native versions of things like WordPerfect, then reconsider
> > > making posts like this.
> >
> >   If someone wants native version of things like WordPerfect, he should
> > encourage companies like Corel to do port that software to FreeBSD. BTW,
> > I have a strong suspicion that Corel will rather accept ARM port of
> > FreeBSD than any kind of ass-kissing.

I'd just like to say that I don't think anyone really 'slammed' Tech1 or
his/their product, but anyway, not what I'm writing about...

>         Actually, I have to quickly agree with Chuck on this...I don't
> personally want WordPerfect, mind you.  But, I would be willing to pay for
> a copy of StarOffice 5.0 if it were native to FreeBSD, since it would
> effectively allow me to totally ditch any reliance I have on Winbloze...
>
>         I wish there were a way of "convincing" commercial enterprises to
> port to us :(
>
>         Here's a question for "those in the power and the know"...has
> anyone considered "contracting" a port of a commercial software package to
> FreeBSD?  For instance, I'd love having a copy of Staroffice native to
> FreeBSD, and would be willing to pay for such...how many others are of the
> same position?  How many would be willing to go so far as to pay FreeBSD,
> Inc to approach StarDivision as *one* entity and say "here is a cheque for
> X dollars to cover porting costs"?

I most certainly would be willing to pay for StarOffice 5.0, as you've
stated it
would mark the end of my need for Windows, at least where I'm not
developing for
Windoze shops/uninformed companies.

I know of many other people that have expressed a similar sentiment, so
I guess I'm
saying... yip, I'd be willing to pay.