Date:      Mon, 18 Dec 2000 17:46:41 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        Paul Wolstenholme <wolstena@sfu.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Botched 3.3->4.2 upgrade

Paul Wolstenholme wrote:

> During an attempted upgrade, I did not have enough disk space on / and the
> upgrade failed.
>
> I have tried to boot into single user mode using the old kernel:
> load kernel.prev
> boot -s
>
> but I cannot seem to mount the / in write mode. If I try: mount -u / I get
> the following error:
>
> mount: Block device required
>
> I know that 4.0 no longer uses block devices. So, how do I mount / after
> this failed install so I can make the required adjustments.

Depending on where your / slice is, you can try something like

mount /dev/ad0s1a /

It depends on how far in to /usr/src/UPDATING you followed when you
did the upgrade. It is also available on
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/. You have to choose the one
for RELENG_4 branch,  if you don't have a copy that you can look at
right now.

Kent

> Thanks,
> Paul