Date:      Sat, 11 May 2002 23:33:29 -0400
From:      Scott Lambert <lambert@lambertfam.org>
To:        dr yoshimasa tsuji <ytsuji@mn.waseda.ac.jp>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fasttrak100

On Sat, May 11, 2002 at 09:02:18AM +0900, dr yoshimasa tsuji wrote:
> Hello,
>  I posted a query a week ago, asking how to make use of FastTrak 100,
> and have had advice that I should use -stable. As a newcomer to FreeBSD,
>  and have no idea how to compile "kernel",  I looked for an ISO image
>  file and ran 4.5p4. But the result has made no difference.
>   It is true that the kernel handles FastTrak100 all right after a
>  fashion in that it allows me to use two IDE drives connected to FastTrak100.
> But the reason I use FastTrak100 is not exactly that way: I want to
>  use it as a RAID device. The drives are set up in BIOS that the one
>  is the master and the other a mirror, but FreeBSD makes me treat them
> as two independent drives.

I am using a Promise FastTrak TX4 ATA100 in my personal web server.

atapci2: <Promise TX4 ATA100 controller (channel 2+3)> port 0xfcd0-0xfcdf,0xfcf0
-0xfcf3,0xfce8-0xfcef,0xfcf4-0xfcf7,0xfcf8-0xfcff mem 0xff9f0000-0xff9fffff irq
11 at device 2.0 on pci1

It is setup to mirror two drives.  You should see an ar0 device in
addition to the usual ad0 and ad1 devices.  Do you get the ar0 device?
If so use it rather than the ad devices.

"ar" appears to stand for "ATAPI RAID".

It is unfortunate that the only man pages for ar refer a
syncronous serial device and the archive manipulation tool.  The ata man
page is also lacking reference to this device.

grep -A2 ar0 /var/run/dmesg.boot

>23:19:25 Sat May 11 $ grep -A2 ar0 /var/run/dmesg.boot
>ar0: 39100MB <ATA RAID1 array> [4984/255/63] status: READY subdisks:
> 0 READY ad4: 39266MB <IC35L040AVER07-0> [79780/16/63] at ata2-master UDMA100
> 1 READY ad6: 39266MB <IC35L040AVER07-0> [79780/16/63] at ata3-master UDMA100
>--
>Mounting root from ufs:/dev/ar0s1a

I think you should have it.  I installed from the FreeBSD 4.5 CD and
everything was detected and worked.  I have since upgraded to -STABLE.
The machine seems quite happy.

I think it should just work for you.  You may just be overlooking the
ar0 device.

If you don't have the ar0 device in your dmesg, see the handbook about
upgrading your system to -STABLE.

http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/current-stable.html#STABLE
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/makeworld.html

Alternatively, based on your e-mail address, you may prefer:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/ja_JP.eucJP/books/handbook/current-stable.html#STABLE
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/ja_JP.eucJP/books/handbook/makeworld.html

> If there is anyone out there who has manged to use Promise FastTrak
>  100 X2 with FreeBSD, give me a line, please (ytsuji@mn.waseda.ac.jp)

lambert@lambertfam.org       http://www.lambertfam.org/~lambert/resume.html
3 years Sr. SysAdmin experience with FreeBSD in small & medium size ISPs.