Date:      Mon, 11 Sep 2000 18:46:44 -0400 (EDT)
From:      mi@aldan.algebra.com
To:        Bill Moran <wmoran@columbus.rr.com>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: firewall rules for applications

On 11 Sep, Bill Moran wrote:
= mi@aldan.algebra.com wrote:
= >
= > I wonder how  feasible would it be to implement  firewall rules that
= > would take  into consideration  the program  (on the  local machine)
= > sending/receiving the packets.  I know, I can now base  the rules on
= > the user/group id, but I may want to go further.
=
= Technically, this is what  ports are for. Port 80 is  for http, 23 for
= telnet, etc. In  a better world, this would be  all that's needed. But
= ...

Mmm, yes, but I may wish  to block Communicator from reaching something,
that  Lynx  or  Konqueror  users  are  allowed  to  reach.  Like  "Smart
Browsing".

= > I just  read a description  of a  Windows product, that  attempts to
= > fight software offered by sneaky  vendors, that tries to contact the
= > vendor  over the  Internet to  send back  user's data.  The blocking
= > software,  supposedly, blocks  applications  from accessing  certain
= > sites. This is not an immediate problem for FreeBSD, but...
=
= Why not  prevent the  user from  installing the  trojan to  begin with
= (that's basically what that is)

Because,  there  may  be  a  legitimate  need  for  the  software.  Like
Communicator, for example, or Doom/Quake :)

= The best security will always be trained individuals who are paranoid.

That's correct. And I'm trying to be one of those and think ahead to see
the  time when  a giant  software packages  will be  available to  me on
FreeBSD, but I'll want to limit their network access.

	-mi