Date:      Thu, 16 Sep 1999 23:00:57 +0200
From:      "Jakob Alvermark" <alvermark@teligent.se>
To:        "Bill Fenner" <fenner@research.att.com>
Cc:        <multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Anyone have a YMF740 driver?

If I remember correctly, someone was trying to do what you are doing some
months ago, and he didn't get it to work. I also think Luigi said that I
shouldn't be much of a problem doing that, but the legacy mode is not very
good(what is it? 8-bit mono or something). What we want is to drive the card
in "native" mode, and get full quality, but it seems hard (if not
impossible) to get Yamaha to release specs.

About OSS, I don't think it's very good, I tried it with different cards,
and always crash my machines. Anyone had any luck with OSS/FreeBSD?
Sometimes it works for an hour or so, but I always end up with the machine
crashing..

/Jakob

> Jakob,
>
>   It looks like the legacy audio control registers are similar on the
YMF724;