Date:      Thu, 27 Feb 1997 12:54:43 +0100 (MET)
From:      Sake Blok <sake@euronet.nl>
To:        lada@ws2301.gud.siemens.co.at (Hr.Ladavac)
Cc:        lada@ws2313.gud.siemens.co.at, terry@lambert.org, lada@ws2301.gud.siemens.co.at, vince@mail.MCESTATE.COM, michaelv@MindBender.serv.net, tom@sdf.com, sergey@extech.msk.su, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [H] Optimal computer for FreeBSD

[...]
> > > What a neat idea.  Then if you want a larger L2, I can make you
> > > buy a whole new processor.
> >
> > And charge you double: after all, you're getting twice as many
> > transistors in the cache...
>
> My brain fart: you should consider it a bargain, since you're getting
> at least *four* time as many transistors (the cache is static, idiot :)

Boy, this brings back elementary school exercises...

For dynamic Ram you need one transistor per bit so if you have X bits of
Ram and you want to double that, you need 2 * X transistors.
--> Result: Doubling Ram costs (2 * X) / X = 2 times as much transistors
            (and some more for the matrices but that amount is neglicable)

For static Ram you need two transistors per bit so if you have X bits of
Ram and you want to double that, you need 2 * (2 * X) transistors.
--> Result: Doubling Ram costs (2 * (2 * X)) / (2 * X) = 2 times as much
            transistors.
	    (and some more for the matrices but that amount is neglicable)

:-)

Sake
--
     | Sake Blok  (sake@euronet.nl)                   EuroNet Internet BV |