Date:      Wed, 3 Mar 1999 12:25:20 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Terry Todd <tlt@tltodd.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: process table attacks

On Tuesday,  2 March 1999 at  9:02:00 -0600, Terry Todd wrote:

> How much of a threat are process table attacks to FreeBSD 2.x systems.
>
> The article at http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2217922,00.html
> seems to indicate that BSD systems aren't that vulnerable to this DOS attack.

The article's rather vague, but it seems that the key problem here is
the number of dead fingerds hanging around.  This should be limited by
the number of processes allowed in /etc/login.conf.  fingerd runs as
user 'nobody', so even when this limit is reached, root can still
create processes.  I don't think that there's much danger of them
doing any serious DOS, though of course they could make a nuisance of
themselves.

Greg