Date:      Tue, 11 Apr 2000 16:59:43 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Guy Helmer <ghelmer@cs.iastate.edu>
To:        Dan Langille <dan@freebsddiary.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CRON in malloc(): warning: pointer to wrong page.

On Wed, 12 Apr 2000, Dan Langille wrote:

> The following type of mail message is arriving on a regular basis.  They
> are related to each cron job that starts up.
>
>  Date sent:      	Wed, 12 Apr 2000 07:55:01 +1200 (NZST)
>  From:           	root (Cron Daemon)
>  To:             	root
>  Subject:        	Cron <root@ducky> /usr/libexec/atrun
>
>  CRON in malloc(): warning: pointer to wrong page.
>
> I can't see anything in /var/log/messages related to this.
>
> Coincidentally (or not), the box rebooted itself yesterday.  Any clues for
> me please?

This isn't the first report of CRON spewing these messages (see GNATS PRs
bin/11169 and bin/9722) so I have been looking at the problem.  I have
patches for cron that might solve the problem but I am unable to duplicate
the problem and thus unable to prove my patches solve it.  If you would
like to try the patches, please let me know and I will send them.

As for the reboot, I would suggest enabling crash dumps by setting dumpdev
in /etc/rc.conf and building & installing a debugging kernel.  With these
steps. it would be possible to capture the machine state and get a
traceback (via gdb -k) if the reboot is due to a kernel panic.  I would
not expect that the reboot would be due to cron, but a crash dump would
verify what process was running when the crash took place.

I'll try to get the cron patches reviewed and checked into the source tree
soon...

Guy

Guy Helmer, Ph.D. Candidate, Iowa State University Dept. of Computer Science
Research Assistant, Dept. of Computer Science   ---   ghelmer@cs.iastate.edu
http://www.cs.iastate.edu/~ghelmer