Date:      Sun, 23 Feb 1997 22:11:16 -0800
From:      jehamby@lightside.com (Jake Hamby)
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Help with nasty BusLogic SCSI card!

This is not strictly a FreeBSD question, but involves a peculiar hardware
configuration which seems to thwart any 32-bit OS.  There is a Micron PCI
Powerstation (90MHz Pentium) at work with a BusLogic BT-946C SCSI
controller.  I seem to remember that it is an older revision of the card.

Anyway, we have had big problems configuring the card before.  Once it is
configured, we've had no problems with it, but last Friday I wanted to
attempt to upgrade this Exabyte 8mm tape drive's firmware, which uses a DOS
program.  I was unsuccessful running the program on another PC, and I
thought I might try the other system because it has a diferent SCSI
controller.  Anyway, I made a DOS boot disk (the system was running NT
before), and the SCSI driver was searching the wrong port.  Rather than fix
the CONFIG.SYS, I thought to change the port of the SCSI card in the
BusLogic BIOS... big mistake (which I should've known better considering the
history of the PC!).  Choosing Auto Config resetted the card back to
settings which _should_ work but the card refuses to work now!

The way in which the card doesn't work is peculiar, as well:  It will boot
an OS (for example NT, or the FreeBSD boot floppy), and correctly probe for
devices, but once it starts to read from the hard drive (i.e. at sysinstall
in FreeBSD, or the blue screen in Windows NT) it hangs.  Under NT, it seems
to repeatedly probe the disks, as the hard drive light will flash every few
seconds, and eventually it will blue-screen crash (with the BUSLOGIC.SYS
driver mentioned prominently in the crash).

I remember that previously, in order to get it to work, we had to change the
PCI Interrupt pin (and possibly set it to Edge trigger).  But this time, I
tried all eight combinations (A, B, C, D, with Level or Edge-trigger), and
none of them worked.  The PCI guru helping us correctly noted that there
should be no reason to change the interrupt if there are no other
bus-mastering cards in the system (the only other PCI card is a Matrox
Ultima), but that's what needed to be done before.  Also, like an idiot, I
never wrote down the correct settings for all of the Buslogic parameters,
and the "Auto Config" menu tends to reset just about everything.  D'oh!

Also, I know that this particular motherboard has a Flash BIOS, and I had
upgraded it to a newer "Plug-and-Play" BIOS early last year.  When I did
that, I remember that I had to change the interrupt pin yet again.  I will
try on Monday down-grading to the older BIOS, but I still don't understand
why this might be a factor.

Anyway, since I know there are PCI gurus on this list, can somebody give
suggestions as to why this card might not work with the default
configuration?  I feel like such an idiot for changing the BIOS settings
knowing the troubled history of this configuration, but I was surprised
that, after several hours of testing different things, we were never able to
get it to work again!  I will try down-grading the flash BIOS to the
earlier, non-Plug-and-Play BIOS on Monday if it still doesn't work...  Is
this just a strange interaction between an old pre-Triton (and possibly not
PCI-2.0 compliant) motherboard, and older PCI cards?

One final note:  The Buslogic card has only two jumpers, to set the memory
location for the BIOS.  With both jumpers off, the motherboard is supposed
to set the location, but with the Micron motherboard, it merely prints "PCI
Error" or worse (screen corruption or refuses to boot).  The card claims to
be PCI 2.0.

-- Jake