Date:      Mon, 04 Sep 2006 12:01:17 -0500
From:      pauls@utdallas.edu
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Where Are All These Files Located?

--==========199D0C4C2EC2F2207E23==========

--On September 4, 2006 9:42:25 AM -0700 Ted Johnson=20
<whatawonderfulworldweliveintoo@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi;
> In installing logcheck, I read the following information:
>
> BSD and FreeBSD: You should go to the /etc directory and edit
> the /etc/daily, /etc/weekly, and /etc/monthly scripts and change the
> 'rotate()' script function to change the log permissions on rotation.
> Simply change the line:

/etc/periodic/daily, /etc/periodic/weekly, /etc/periodic/monthly.  See man =

(8) periodic.  Also see man (5) pqqeriodic.conf.

However, BSD doesn't need to use logcheck and rotate (which are linux=20
creations), because it rotates logfiles using syslogd and newsyslog.conf.=20
See man (8) syslogd, man (8) newsyslog and man (5) newsyslog.conf.

Paul Schmehl (pauls@utdallas.edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas
http://www.utdallas.edu/ir/security/