Date:      Thu, 25 Jul 1996 14:18:09 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Charlie ROOT <root@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        Wes Side Story <wdorale@rs1.mtmc.edu>
Cc:        Gunter.Loos@ngonet.be, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: user PPP server problem

On Thu, 25 Jul 1996, Wes Side Story wrote:

> On Thu, 25 Jul 1996, Gunter Loos wrote:
>
> > Doug White wrote:
>
> > > Hm.  You should have found quite a bit of stuff searching the questions
> > > archives.  This is definitely a FAQ.
> > >
> > > It's the classic "gateway through ppp" condition that everyone else wants
> > > to do. :)
> > >
> > So: enable ip-forwarding. As in
> > 	o	option gateway in your /usr/src/sys/../config (for old FreeBSDs)
> > 	o	gateway in /etc/sysconfig (I think)
>
> I did set gateway to "yes" in the sysconfig file(and also put the "options
> gateway" in the kernel config just in case).  And upon bootup a message
> does come across about gateway enabled...  Some one said that the solution
> is having the FreeBSD machine act as a proxy arp.  I have "enable proxy"
> in the ppp.conf file but still no luck.  Do I need to use the "arp"
> command?  If so what do I use for the hex(physical?) address of the
> dial-in PC?
> Thanks for the help
>
> Wes Dorale
> Mount Marty College
> Network Administrator

On bootup you should also see something about ipforwarding=yes.

My /etc/ppp/options file (and the /etc/ppp/ppp.conf, for user ppp as
a server) both have the line proxyarp in them.

Then in /etc/rc.local I've got:

# put your local stuff here
/usr/sbin/arp -s 36.33.0.75 00:20:af:be:eb:e0 pub

and I have routed -q running.  This is on the machine running as the
server (my office machine).  The IP address in the above is not the
IP address of the office machine, but the IP address that I use for
my home machine, i.e., the client, but the ethernet card number is
the number of the card in the server.  I think if you do this the
IP address on the client machine and the IP address of the server
have to be on the same network segment (if that is the proper term),
i.e., in this case both the home and office machines are on 36.33.
If you had another client machine with an IP address you could have
a second arp -s statement.  (My understanding is that the arp -s
statement causes the ethernet card to grab incoming packets addressed
to, in this case, 36.33.0.75, and route them in accordance with the
routing tables, but that may be incorrect.)

The alternative and perhaps more standard approach is to assign
another IP address to the ppp interface on the server machine.

Annelise