Date:      Wed, 19 Jul 2000 12:09:50 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        chad@DCFinc.com
Cc:        wilko@FreeBSD.ORG, rsstan@yahoo.com, obrien@FreeBSD.ORG, keith.mackay@home.com, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bioscall.s

In message <200007180020.RAA17343@freeway.dcfinc.com> "Chad R. Larson" writes:
: Could someone please offer a brief explanation about the nature of
: the change to the binutils?  How are they different such that the
: kernel build method needed change?

They fix a number of borken instructions that we had worked around in
odd ways before.  Now, the work arounds are no longer needed and have
been removed.  Some of the work arounds don't work or produce working
binarys now (iirc).

: My original understanding was that the new method used the tools in
: /usr/obj instead of in /usr/bin, in order to build kernels with
: freshly built tools, rather than the tools from the previous build.
: Late postings imply something more complicated has happened.
: Is that true?

No.  It is just a matter of needing up to date tools.

Warner