Date:      Mon, 25 Jun 2001 22:58:32 -0400
From:      "Michael Silver" <msilver@sc.rr.com>
To:        "Andrew Reid" <andrew.reid@plug.cx>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and surviving unclean shutdowns

I am no expert on this, but using the default file system, without
softupdates, I had my server crashing about every other day for a month due
to a hardware problem.  Obviously it wasn't very useable, but I never lost a
single file.

FreeBSD's default install is highly realiable, if so desired you can tune it
for  speed.  The theory is, FreeBSD is meant to be a highly reliable, stable
OS before it is a speed demon.  Of course FreeBSD does shine in several area
when it comes to speed.

...Michael...