Date:      Fri, 20 Apr 2001 13:56:20 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        ryanb <ryanb@goddamnbastard.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: AMI MegaRAID (428 series; Enterprise 1200?) + 4-STABLE (2001.12.14) -> hard lock w/o ability to dump

> Getting to the point, this machine likes to just totally lock on its
> own.  Still pingable, it seems everything is happy that doesn't rely on
> the filesystems/disks.  ie: I received a page stating that its SMTP services
> were timing out, but my systat over a serial console was still responsive.
> After exiting systat, it just sat and did nothing, never returning to a
> shell prompt.  (Possibly from the shell trying to stat() after exiting
> systat and getting no RAID response?  I dunno ...)

It does sound like you have a filesystem lock cascade going on, which
would be explained by a lost I/O.  There are other possibilities though.

> 	dumping to dev #amrd/0x20001, offset 1048592
> 	dump failed, reason: device doesn't support a dump routine
> 	Automatic reboot in 15 seconds - press a key on the console to abort
>
> This is making me think the RAID controller is completely acting up if
> we can't get a core dump (well, with _that_ error above).

No, you're on the wrong track here; the driver doesn't have a dump
routine, so you can't dump to it under any circumstances.

>     amr0: <AMI MegaRAID> port 0xe480-0xe4ff irq 18 at device 10.0 on pci2
>     amr0: <Series 428> Firmware Uc77, BIOS 1.47, 128MB RAM

You need to update your firmware first; UF82-166 is what you want.  It's
possible that this isn't the problem, but I can't offer you any help until
you do upgrade, as I don't have a defect listing for AMI's firmware.

You can get the upgrade from AMI's website.

Regards,
Mike