Date:      Mon, 23 Jun 2014 09:53:16 -0400
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ACPI error messages on Lenovo W540

On Tuesday, June 17, 2014 9:54:57 am Eric McCorkle wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to set up on a lenovo W540 mobile workstation I recently
> purchased.  Things work well for the most part (including
> suspend/resume), however there's some error messages that I suspect are
> at the root of why the nvidia Xorg driver doesn't work, and possibly
> also at the root of why USB 3.0 won't work either.
>
> At suspend/resume, the following error messages show up:
>
> pci0: failed to set ACPI power state D2 on \134_SB_.PCI0.PEG_:
> AE_BAD_PARAMETER
> pci0: failed to set ACPI power state D2 on \134_SB_.PCI0.EXP1:
> AE_BAD_PARAMETER
> pci0: failed to set ACPI power state D2 on \134_SB_.PCI0.EXP2:
> AE_BAD_PARAMETER
> pci0: failed to set ACPI power state D2 on \134_SB_.PCI0.EXP3:
> AE_BAD_PARAMETER
> pci0: failed to set ACPI power state D2 on \134_SB_.PCI0.EXP5:
> AE_BAD_PARAMETER

I think these are harmless and you can ignore them.  Probably these devices
only support D0 (on) and D3 (off) and not D2 (low power).

> I suspect these might have something to do with the USB 3.0 system not
> working, though I don't have experience with either the ACPI or USB
> subsystems.

Does it not work in general, or does it not work after resume?

> Also, the nvidia Xorg driver fails to work, and causes a similar error
> message:
>
> ACPI Warning: \134_SB_.PCI0.PEG_.VID_._DSM: Argument #4 type mismatch -
> Found [Buffer], APCI requires [Package] (20130823/nsarguments-97)
> (the same message gets repeated about 10 times)

That is a very different error, but it might explain nvidia driver problems.
The ACPI spec explains how _DSM works (there's an example method in section 9
of the 5.0 spec which you can get from acpi.info).  In this case the warning
is complaining that the return type is incorrect.  Of course, the spec says
that this function should return a Buffer, but ACPICA seems to think it should
return a Package.  It would be good to track down which specific arguments
were passed to _DSM and then examine the acpidump to see which path that would
take.

--
John Baldwin