Date:      Sun, 10 Dec 1995 11:41:48 -0800
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org>
To:        rkw@dataplex.net (Richard Wackerbarth)
Cc:        hackers@freefall.freebsd.org, jkh@time.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Sup's Freefall-centric tree conventions

>I feel that the group is making a big mistake by using /usr/src as the
>location of the -current tree available for sup'ping.

Where the tree lands is customizable by the user.  There is even
an extensive header in all of our supfiles (as of last night) that
explains how to customize them for your setup.  I also feel that
using /usr/src as the default location for all src tree sups is
a choice of least surprise.  Not all of the people who use SUP
to get at our bits have enough space for multiple src trees.

>This assumes that the system is interested in only the absolute latest
>-current version of the source. I think that this is in error. /usr/src
>should be reserved for the system's own sources. They might be 2.1-RELEASE,
>for example.

This is up to the user.  We dictate absolutely no policy on where the
user pulls their source.

>Similarly, assuming that -stable is on /a/src is equally freefall-centric.

The files don't assume that.  I think you are commenting on Jordan's
supfiles (which he has already recanted).

>I advocate that we designate another tree location for the various source tree
>s.
>For example, ~FreeBSD/current, ~FreeBSD/stable, ~FreeBSD/cvs, etc.
>The individual system is then free to make these entries links to whatever
>location is appropriate for their configuration.

There's no need to designate anything.  It is up to the user.

Please read the files in ~ftp/sup on Freefall before commenting on
this subject further.

--
Justin T. Gibbs
  FreeBSD: Turning PCs into workstations