Date:      Sun, 26 Nov 1995 17:51:07 -0600 (CST)
From:      peter@taronga.com (Peter da Silva)
To:        lyndon@orthanc.com (Lyndon Nerenberg)
Cc:        peter@taronga.com, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: More nits

>     Peter> a "gnu bonus pack" with all the "standard" gnu tools would
>     Peter> be good.

> How do you handle namespace collisions? I would agree with this
> iff the utilities were installed somewhere outside of the standard
> PATH (i.e. in /usr/gnu/bin).

If they're installed from packages they'd be in /usr/local/bin.

I personally like having a /usr/gnu/bin myself.

>     Peter> a "tcl/tk bonus pack" is of course required, tcl, tk,
>     Peter> tcldp, expect, ...

> TCL and TK are useful enough that they should be part of the base
> distribution (as is perl).

Been there, done that, they decided that they didn't want it. Got a bmaked
tcl rotting on freefall.

> My biggest complaint with the ports stuff right now is the way it
> scribbles all over /usr/local. Even worse, it isn't consistent (e.g.
> binaries installed in /usr/bin and support stuff under /usr/local/lib).
> /usr/local should be HANDS OFF to the vendor-supplied software, something
> I consider "ports" to be.

Ah, but the "vendor" doesn't.

> The ports software should be configured to install into either the
> standard directory tree, or into a seperate /usr/ports hierarchy.

I'd buy that. I like organizing things that way myself. But it's certainly
not what I'd call a super-high priority.