Date:      Tue, 28 May 2002 12:05:42 -0400
From:      Matt.Smith@uconn.edu
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Base system vs. Ports

All --
  I'm sure this has been discussed many times before, but my searches on
the mailing lists were not revealing the answer to me.  I am somewhat new
to FreeBSD, and so to this list, so please excuse my lack of understanding
on the FreeBSD architecture.
  Could someone explain to me why certain components, such as SSH, Perl,
BIND, etc are included as part of the base system?  I would not consider
these "part of FreeBSD", nor even necessarily "part of Unix".  When I
install a FreeBSD system, one of the first procedures I have to go through
is installing OpenSSH, Perl, BIND, etc from the ports collection, to make
sure I have the latest versions.  I understand that not all users wish to
have the latest version of a given app -- but would it not be better to
have ports for seperate versions, such as openssh-2.9 and openssh-3.2?  It
seems this would at least allow one to patch (for example) the sshd daemon
alone, by upgrading the port, without having to rebuild the entire world.
  My concern comes from a security perspective -- if I have installed
openssh from the ports collection, keeping /usr/local/sbin/sshd patched is
as simple as "portuprade openssh".  However, this leaves an unpatched
/usr/sbin/sshd (until I rebuild the world).  Yes, that version sshd is
disabled via /etc/rc.conf:SSHD_ENABLE="NO", but if a hacker can (somehow)
succesfully start this unpatched daemon, a Point of Entry may be created.
And I'm sure we've all had some sort of experience with hackers! :)  The
fewer potential tools I can provide a hacker, the better.

**  BTW -- I am not intentionally picking on openssh -- it just seems to be
a very good example for this issue. **

  I would rather see the base system be very lean, and these components be
installed simply from ports/packages.  This is the #1 reason I gave up on
Linux distributions such as RedHat.  There was too much preinstalled, so it
became difficult to "lock-down".  FreeBSD  /is/ much slimmer, but these few
apps still puzzle me.

Could someone provide me with the flaw in my reasoning?

Thank you all,
-Matt Smith

Matthew J. Smith
matt.smith@uconn.edu