Date:      Sat, 2 Aug 1997 11:08:25 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        Thomas J Balfe <tbalfe@tioga.net>, Chris Dillon <cdillon@tri-lakes.net>
Cc:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AWE32

Thomas J Balfe:
 |Has any gotten the AWE32 to work with 2.2.2R?

Chris Dillon:
 |I have my AWE32 somewhat working under 2.2-STABLE with OSS/FreeBSD
 |The only problem I have with OSS at the moment is that it doesn't see all
 |the RAM (8MB) on *MY* card (apparently this problem occurs only with some
 |older cards.. i have a legacy AWE32), so I can't load any SoundFonts into
 |it.  Otherwise, it works fine when playing MIDI via the ROM banks with OSS.

The checked-in driver works, but recent versions are more capable.  BTW,
you can load patch files up to your SB32's/AWE32's installed memory
capacity.

Grab the 0.4.0 driver from here, and pop in the few kernel files:

     http://multiverse.com/~rhh/awedrv/

Build a new kernel with:

     controller      snd0
     device pas0     at isa? port 0x388 irq 10 drq 3 vector pasintr
     device sb0      at isa? port 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 vector sbintr
     device sbxvi0   at isa? drq 5
     device sbmidi0  at isa? port 0x330
     device opl0     at isa? port 0x388
     device awe0     at isa? port 0x620

Then the tools at the same URL will work for you.  To play MIDIs, run this
once after each boot (add to rc.local):

     sfxload -i /dos/c/awe32/sfbank/synthgm.sbk    (or favorite SBK/SF2)

and then run:

     drvmidi <midifiles>

For playing MODs, 669s, MTMs, S3Ms, or ULTs, run xgmod/gmod.
For cool synth sound in Doom, graph the Doom Music Server patch & plug it in.

If you have a PnP, you'll need to use Sujal Patel's ISA PnP tools to get
the card inited before the driver will work.  A couple URLs to it:

     http://www.freefall.org/~smpatel/FreeBSD-ISA_PnP_June8.tar.gz
     ftp://rah.star-gate.com/pub/FreeBSD-ISA_PnP_June8.tar.gz