Date:      Fri, 24 Apr 1998 23:01:18 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Andrzej Bialecki <abial@nask.pl>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ouch... (DEVFS)

Hi!

After your today's patches I went much further - the system is running
almost ok, except the following (again - repeatable 100%) panic.

panic: isa_dmacheck: no physical page present

db> tr
_Debugger()
_panic()
_isa_dmarangecheck()
_isa_dmastart()
_fdstate()
_fdintr()
Xresume6()
--- interrupt
_default_halt()

The recipe to get this is as follows:

* mount an FFS floppy:
	mount /dev/fd0 /mnt

* unmount it:
	umount /mnt
  You'll get a kernel message saying:

fd0: probing for MBR.. rejected.. Slice includes MBR nope
fd0: probing for disklabel.. yep
	part 0, start=0, size=2880
	part 1, start=0, size=2880
dkl: slice 1 overlaps slice 0

* now try to mount an MSDOS floppy:
	mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /mnt

Now you get the panic.

Any other combination of mounting/umounting other partitions on IDE (wd)
drives seem to work ok, even if they contain MSDOSFS.

I also have some questions:

* What happened with /dev/fd0c ??? DEVFS doesn't create it - I usually
mounted floppies using this device... It doesn't create them 'on the fly'
either. Hmm... Could it be possible that DEVFS create needed device nodes
(if possible, i.e. if there was really a disklabel or something) when the
name is first used, and when the underlying medium vanishes it could
return 'device not configured' or something like this...

* I originally had /dev/modem -> /dev/cuaa0. What should I do now? (except
recreating it every time the system starts...)

And last but not least: thank you for your work! We're approaching the
target step by step... :-)

Andrzej Bialecki