Date:      Sat, 06 Apr 2002 03:46:14 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: YA "GNU Sucks" thread (Was: Re: Use/Utilize)

Mark Murray wrote:
> > When someone tells me I can "utilize" source code, I take it to
> > mean that I'm permited to "utilize it in the preparation of
> > derivative works".
> >
> > When they tell me I can do that without restriction, then
> > I take that to mean "without incurring the restriction that
> > a derivative work must be licensed under the same terms".
> >
> > Perhaps they honestly believe the GPL is not itself a
> > restriction...
>
> This has nothing to do with the original subject:, and is YA
> incantation if that @#$%ing GNU argument.

Respectfully, I disagree.  I'm not arguing that no one should
use the GPL, I'm arguing that there's an ambiguity that would
require research to find.

If they distinguished "use" and "utilization" of the code,
then it would be much clearer, IMO.

Maybe it's just because I'm a native English speaker, and
most of the people who argue that "use" and "utilize" are
"the same" are not... if they're synonyms to the rest of
the world, then I think that it needs to excplicitly and
seperately identify which "use" is being talked about where.

-- Terry