Date:      Wed, 12 Jan 2000 13:06:15 +1100
From:      "Lachlan O'Dea" <lodea@vet.com.au>
To:        Florian Znottka <znotti@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hi FreeBSD-Team!

On Tue, Jan 11, 2000 at 04:07:27PM +0000, Florian Znottka wrote:
> I've got a question about your Team:
>
> Please can you tell me, which of your Projekts is for Linux-User the best:
>
> FreeBSD
> OpenBSD
> NetBSD

That depends on what kind of Linux user you are. Most Linux users are
running on low-cost Intel-based PCs. If you're in this category, then
FreeBSD is probably best, as it generally has the best support for Intel
PC hardware.

Other than Intel, FreeBSD also supports the Alpha, so it might also suit
you if you if you have an Alpha. If you're running Linux on something
else, like a Mac or a Sparc, then you'll need either OpenBSD or NetBSD.

> and which is the difference between this 3 very good Product.

Very briefly, with great over-simplification:

FreeBSD's strength is performance.
OpenBSD's strength is security.
NetBSD's strength is portability.

But really this question cannot be answered completely, and the answer
changes over time. The best approach is to determine your requirements
and try to work out which one fits best.

--
Lachlan O'Dea <mailto:lodea@vet.com.au>   Computer Associates Pty Ltd
Webmaster                                   Vet - Anti-Virus Software

"Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal
every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the
existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more
approve of the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear"
- Thomas Jefferson