Date:      Fri, 19 Feb 1999 19:25:59 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        "Richard Seaman, Jr." <dick@tar.com>
Cc:        Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>, Geoff Rehmet <geoffr@is.co.za>, "'hackers@freebsd.org'" <hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Star Office 5 woes

On Fri, 19 Feb 1999, Richard Seaman, Jr. wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 20, 1999 at 12:23:51AM +0800, Peter Wemm wrote:
>
> > I don't know anybody who's been able to get it to work, except for you. :-)
>
> Actually, I think quite a few people are running it ok.
>
> > I was toying with the idea of using the fax/email method of registering
> > and typing in the codes, but I decided to have a look around first.  I
> > tried the example scripts, and a good number of them also had the same
> > sort of runtime errors.
>
> Yes, I think the problem is more than just the registration script.  Somehow
> I think it can't find some of the files it needs, or the environment doesn't
> get set right, or something like that.
>
> > About the only thing left I can think of is hardware/memory/cpu
> > differences.  I upgraded my motherboard (doubled ram to 128MB) and a 50%
> > faster cpu (still a cyrix though. :-(..) and replaced the drives with a
> > much faster set and still didn't get any joy.
>
> FWIW, I'm running it on a machine with K6-266, 256MB RAM, 512MB swap,
> and its on a 11.5GB UDMA drive.  But, I really doubt that hardware is
> the issue.
>
> > What I'm curious to know is, does it consistantly work for you when you
> > reinstall it and reregister it?
>
> It consistently works, but I haven't tried reinstalling and re-registering
> except 1) the first time I installed it and had the same problems you do
> 2) the second time I reinstalled it, when it worked, and 3) the last time
> I installed it to generate the transcript that is at lt.tar.com.

When I first installed it, I had the problem and fixed it with the
'repair' option of the setup program.  I had to reinstall it recently and
I could not get the registration thing to work at all whatever I tried.
Fortunately I had a record of the keys.

Note that a new version is available (5.0.1) which probably addresses some
of the registration issues.  With this version, all the registration
information (from the website when you fill in the form for downloading)
is given to the setup program and there is no extra dialog to fill in
after installation.

--
Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com