Date:      Thu, 31 Jul 1997 10:21:24 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "M. L. Dodson" <bdodson@beowulf.utmb.edu>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NT4, FBSD, different disks and booting

Just to follow up with the final solution I settled on, here is one
way to at least avoid having to boot from a floppy.  Thanks to several
people who responded with suggestions.  Note that I reinstalled
NT and DOS 6.22 such that there is an initial DOS FAT file system
100MB in size with the rest of the disk being NT using NTFS.  I
have not tested this solution on a 100% NTFS IDE boot disk (although
I think it should work there).  This is on FreeBSD 2.2.2 from the WC
CDROM and NT 4.0 Workstation.

cd /usr/src/sys/i386/boot/biosboot and edit start.S to produce:

diff start.S start.S.orig
136a137
>	mov $0x81,%dl

make
cp boot.nohdr /msdos/bootsect.bsd # FAT partition is mounted on /msdos

Reboot to DOS and edit boot.ini as described in the FAQ to make a
FreeBSD boot option entry

ctrl-alt-del

Select the FreeBSD entry at the NT boot prompt.

At the FreeBSD boot prompt enter:

1:sd(0,a)kernel  (just like you were booting from a floppy)

FreeBSD comes up and finds its root partition correctly.  If you do
not enter:

1:sd(0,a)kernel

at the FreeBSD boot prompt, the kernel panics because it cannot find
its root partition (device probe works, though).

Not elegant, but I don't have to walk around to the other side of
my desk to insert/remove a FreeBSD floppy each time I reboot to the
other OS.

Of course, all the usual disclaimers about me not being responsible
if this incantation reformats your hard disk, etc. :)

Bud Dodson

--
M. L. Dodson                                bdodson@scms.utmb.edu
409-772-2178                                FAX: 409-772-1790