Date:      Fri, 9 Sep 2011 10:53:00 -0700
From:      Kevin Oberman <kob6558@gmail.com>
To:        Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd@freebsd.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>, Eugene Grosbein <egrosbein@rdtc.ru>
Subject:   Re: gmirror+gjournal often makes inconsistens file systems

On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 6:35 AM, Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd@freebsd.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 09, 2011 at 05:31:49PM +0700, Eugene Grosbein wrote:
>> Please explain if such partitioning is supported?
>> physical drive - geom_mirror - geom_journal - geom_part_mbr - geom_part_bsd - journalled UFS2
>
> No. It will only work properly for journaling UFS if UFS is placed
> directory on gjournal provider. You configured slices and several
> pratitions on one gjournal provider, which simply cannot work, as
> one UFS file system has to talk to one gjournal provider.
>
>> If not, mounting such UFS2 should warn us, shouldn't it?
>> No warnings now.
>
> It might be a bit hard to tell, but it could be at least better
> documented.

Yes, the documentation could be better, especially since the
gjournal(8) man page example
where the entire disk (da0) is tied to a single journal. At least
change the example to read:
           gjournal load
           gjournal label da0p5
           newfs -J /dev/da0p5.journal
           mount -o async /dev/da05.journal /mnt

It MIGHT be better to use da0s1g, but I think we want  to move toward
GPT, so I suggest
that type of example. Either make it clear that a file system, not a
drive, is the appropriate
application. I am quite aware of this as I just created my first
gjournal file system last night
and was  briefly confused by this.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer - Retired
E-mail: kob6558@gmail.com