Date:      Thu, 23 Oct 1997 10:37:03 -0400
From:      Joshua Fielden <shaggy@houseofduck.ml.org>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        rknebel@csrlink.net, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: xinitrc file

Greg Lehey wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 22, 1997 at 06:30:56PM -0400, rknebel@csrlink.net wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I am trying to fine tune my xinitrc file and am running into an annoying
> > problem. The last line in it which was there when I intially installed
> > freebsd 2.2.2, brings up an xterm window which is called login. This appears
> > whenever I start x and to exit x I have to type exit in this xterm window.
> > If I delete this line my X server will not start. Does this line have to be
> > there or is there a way to get rid of it. I will attach a copy of my xinitrc
> > file.
>
> The problem is more likely that your X server starts and then stops
> again.  You should ensure that the last command in your .xinitrc
> doesn't complete: when this happens, the server stops.  I'd suggest
> starting the window manager last.  I don't see a window manager in
> your .xinitrc; how do you start it?
>
> Greg

I had the same sort of issue, my afterstep would not start if it was the
last thing in my rc file, with an "&"
so I just took the "&" off.

so the end of my .xinitrc is:

# start some nice programs

oclock &
afterstep

The only reason I put the oclock there first is so it grabs the
upper-left corner before anything else. I launch all my other start-up
programs from my ~/.steprc file.

Hope this helps.
--
Joshua Fielden, Systems Administrator, GeoCities. jfielden@geocities.com
(212)686-9045 x 233 vox		(917)953-1439 pgr