Date:      Wed, 06 Jan 1999 12:14:45 +0900
From:      Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
To:        sos@FreeBSD.ORG, msmith@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp
Subject:   syscons update - when?

As I announced before, reorganization of syscons code is under way and
I intend to commit changes in three stages.

Stage 1: keyboard driver split
Stage 2: video driver split, splash screen
Stage 3: other reorganization

The new code has been running on my -current box for quite a while.

Now, -stable branch date is coming up.  The question is how much
change we should commit before the branch?  We can defer commit after
the branch and later backport the new code from -current to -stable.
However, there is a snug.

At stage 1 and 2, the users will be forced to change their kernel
configuration files because keyboard and video drivers become separate
from syscons.  Such change is probably too much, if suddenly
introduced to -stable well after the branch.

So, probably our options are:

a) Commit stage 1 and 2 changes now. Stage 3 changes may be backported
   to -stable from -current later.
b) Don't commit any changes now, but commit them to -current after the
   branch.  Don't backport the changes to -stable at all.  When the next
   branch (3.1-STABLE?) comes, let it have the new code.

I prefer the option a). But, I have to expect rough ride after
commits, as changes of this scale will have many initial glitches...

What do you think?

Kazu