Date:      Fri, 28 Feb 2003 14:13:41 -0600
From:      Kirk Strauser <kirk@strauser.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem with telnet

--=-=-=

At 2003-02-28T15:59:49Z, "Patrick M. Hausen" <hausen@punkt.de> writes:

> I can think of a setup where the possibility of bugs in the much more
> complex sshd application outweighs the remote chance of someone sniffing
> by quite a margin.

Honestly, I can't think of such a situation, but to each his own.

> Think of ISP infrastructure, a switched network completely under your
> control.

Think of a cracker who breaks into a workstation and starts exploring...

> OpenSSH has had its share of security holes and while I generally agree
> with you that it's a good idea to use ssh where appropriate, I don't share
> the general "telnet is bad because it's plain text hysteria" ;-)

Once again, to each his own.  Then again, I'm not as hardcore as my mentor,
who insisted that any password that was accidentally sent in plaintext even
once had to immediately be changed.  Not that I'm arguing with his logic or
think it was overkill.
=2D-=20
Kirk Strauser
In Googlis non est, ergo non est.