Date:      Wed, 04 Nov 1998 15:17:34 -0500
From:      "Steve Friedrich" <SteveFriedrich@Hot-Shot.com>
To:        "akn@airmail.hobl.lucent.com" <akn@airmail.hobl.lucent.com>, "Christopher Michaels - SSG" <ChrisMic@sbservices.com>, "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Is there any support for HP PPA based inkjet printers?

On Wed, 4 Nov 1998 14:53:23 -0500, Christopher Michaels - SSG wrote:

>To my understanding, the 72xC isn't a "windows printer" but on the same
>token, has no internal fonts what-so-ever, and therefore will not work with
>out some level of software support.
>-Chris

>How are you going to complain about "fraudlent products" when it clearly
>states that the minimum system requirements include WINDOWS?

Aren't your two statements contradictory??  Perhaps technically you
could state that other OSes could have the same software support, but
what if the vendor won't release any technical details, or worse, puts
patents in place like Intel did with Slot 1.  If Winblows is the only
platform you can use the printer with, then this should be prominently
displayed on marketing material, including the box, IMO.  I think
consumers need to wake up and stop accepting a pig-in-a-poke.

>From HP's web pages, it is not clear if this printer is a *winprinter*.
 This guy might be screwed...

How would you like to buy a battery operated toy for your kid, get home
and discover that they used a proprietary battery design, and they
battery costs $100, and the store where you bought it (at least now)
has a sign stating no returns/no cash refunds.

We had to establish, by law, standards for what can be called milk,
butter, etc.  We may have to do the same to regulate the fraud out of
the computer industry.
Unix systems measure "uptime" in years, Winblows measures it in minutes.