Date:      Wed, 05 Jan 2000 19:21:17 -0500
From:      "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
To:        Kai Voigt <k@123.org>
Cc:        committers@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.0 code freeze scheduled for Jan 15th

> Louis A. Mamakos wrote:
> >
> > Will we try to include the remaining KAME IPv6 integration into 4.0 before
> > the freeze?  It would be nice to have 4.0 with a functioning IPv6 stack and
> > some applications.
>
> IPv6 is a very complex area and I believe that a -RELEASE should come with
> both a clean IPv6 stack and working userland tools.  When looking at
> Linux and Solaris, they also lack a usable IPv6 support when it comes
> to userland tools.
>
> A lot of things need to be modified: ifconfig, route, ipfw, tcpd, ...
> and all the client/server tools you can find in /etc/inetd.conf
>
> I doubt that IPv6 will make it into 4.0-RELEASE, but I'm sure it
> will be a major item for this year.

A large part of the integration has already been done.  The KAME IPv6 and
IPSEC code has been available for 3.2 and 3.3 for a while, and seems to be
pretty stable based on the testing I did a few weeks ago.  While there's been
a bunch of changes in the 4.0 kernel, I think adapted to the differences
between
3.x and 4.x is the major challange rather than the IPSEC and IPv6 features
and functionality.

All the changes you mentioned (and more) already exist as patches to 3.3
from KAME.

Of course, I'm not doing the work, so my opinion on the difficulty doesn't
carry much authority..

louie

.