Date:      Sun, 1 Apr 2007 08:36:02 -0500
From:      Jonathan Horne <freebsd@dfwlp.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: as i progress with jails...

On Sun, 1 Apr 2007 00:20:04 -0600
"Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC" <chad@shire.net> wrote:

> On Apr 1, 2007, at 12:16 AM, James Long wrote:
>
> >> Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 19:14:16 -0600
> >> From: "Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC" <chad@shire.net>
> >> Subject: Re: as i progress with jails...
> >> To: Jonathan Horne <freebsd@dfwlp.com>
> >> Cc: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
> >>
> > [deleted]
> >> That needs to be updated per jail.  I use a master jail I nullfs
> >> mount so I just ave to update userland once but if major etc changes
> >> happen still have to do that in each
> >>
> >> Chad
> >
> > And is mergemaster useful inside jails, or do changes to jails'
> > /etc tree have to be handled manually?
>
> To be honest I have not yet tried.  I tend to do it by hand when
> things break by not doing it :-)
>
> Chad
>
> ---
> Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC
> Your Web App and Email hosting provider
> chad at shire.net

after the previous reply to do the 'make installworld DESTDIR=/path/to/jail' (which seemed to work great), i just re-entered the jail, switched to /usr/src (nullfs mounted from the host, along with /usr/obj), and did mergemaster from the jail.  it did identify files that were not up to date with 6.2-RELEASE-p3, and hitting 'i' to install them did seem to remove the old, and put in the new (example, my /etc/motd was full text again, which i always keep mine cut down to just the first 2 lines).

so id say that using mergemaster within the jail is the way to go.

cheers,
jonathan