Date:      Tue, 13 Oct 1998 12:33:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        Shawn Ramsey <shawn@cpl.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: upgrading

On Tue, 13 Oct 1998, Shawn Ramsey wrote:

>If I do an "upgrade" with a 2.2.7 boot disk, is everything likely to go ok?
>Backups are obviosly a wise idea, but I don't want to do this if its going
>to involve much downtime. The system is running 2.2-Stable of unknown date..
>havent followed stable for probably a year, I think 2.2.5 was the latest
>release at the time.

I always wondered about upgrading. I have never tried using the boot disk
to do an upgrade.

What I did do was use CVSUP to do an upgrade. You can fetch source, make
world, rebuild and install the kernel, and then reboot at an opportune
time.

If all goes well the downtime will  be a few minutes during the reboot.

I was leary the first time I did it, but it went without a hitch. The docs
on the website are good. Before you use "upgrade" I recommend looking at
CVS.

Catchya Later,		|	UW Mechanical Engineering
Jason Wells		|	http://weber.u.washington.edu/~jcwells/