Date:      Fri, 17 Jan 1997 00:11:18 -0500 (EST)
From:      Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>
To:        pgilley@metronet.com (Phil Gilley)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, jkh@time.cdrom.com, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Netscape and NIS

Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, Phil Gilley had
to walk into mine and say:

> On Thu, 16 Jan 1997, Michael Smith wrote:
>
> > Jordan K. Hubbard stands accused of saying:

Unfortunately I don't think there's much you can do about this. BSDI
just doesn't have NIS (at least it didn't last time I had access to
a BSDI system, which was many months ago) and its shared library
implementation was quite a bit different from ours. (For one thing,
you had to compile programs with a special gcc wrapper script to generate
a dynamically linked executable).

> > > Hmmm.  I wonder what the Linux version of Netscape does WRT NIS. :-)

I suspect that this, like most things with Linux, depends on what
particular distribution they use. While I haven't been seized by an
urge to go nosing through the Linux NIS code, I've read that there's more
than one client-side NIS implementation for Linux. In some cases you need
to have a magic + entry in /etc/passwd, in others you need to configure
/etc/nsswitch.conf. Sometimes you need ypbind, sometimes you need to
frob /etc/yp.conf. In the cases where you need ypbind, there's some
question as to whether the /var/yp/<domain>/binding files use the same
format. (I think they do since I believe the Linux ypbind is based on
Theo's ypbind. Our ypbind is based on his as well, and while I've beaten
the crap out of it, it still uses the same binding file format.)

In theory, if the Linux nutscrape binary runs on FreeBSD -- either
statically linked or using a copy of the Linux shared libc -- then it
should be using Linux's NIS code. If you can convince Linux's NIS code
to turn on and work, then there's no reason why it wouldn't behave
correctly. In theory.

> > No idea.  It frightens me to think, but if it gets our friend here out
> > of a hole then we win. 8)  (actually, he does, but you get my drift.)
> >
> > Any noise on our chances wrt. this yet?

Tread carefully. Keep your head down. Don't talk to any strangers.
Remember the Alamo.

> I plan on giving the Linux version a shot, but it will be a few days
> before I get a chance to play with this again.  I'll report back.
>
> Phil Gilley
> pgilley@metronet.com

Some would argue that not being able to run nutscrape is a good thing.
Now if Micro$oft had any brains at all, they'd realize that this is a
market Netscape hasn't locked down yet and do an Internet Exploiter for
FreeBSD.

Wait... what the hell am I saying...

-Bill