Date:      Tue, 11 Mar 2003 18:23:36 +0100
From:      "Kjell" <junkmail@sensewave.com>
To:        freebsd@mcesr.etat.lu
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: disabling sendmail and using postfix

From:           	freebsd@mcesr.etat.lu
Subject:        	disabling sendmail and using postfix
To:             	freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Date sent:      	Tue, 11 Mar 2003 17:34:20 +0100

> Hi,
> (freebsd newbie)
> I've installed postfix from ports. At the end of the
> installion script I was asked if it should modify the
> /etc/mail/mailer.conf file which I answered with yes!
>
> My question is, how is postfix started? It did not install
> a .sh file in /usr/local/etc/rc.d.

Was all set up for you

> Is still started with the sendmail_enable="yes" variable in
> rc.conf or do I have to set sendmail_enable="NONE", and add
> something different to use postfix?

Just after hitting YES above you shuld have seen the following:

If you have postfix configured in your /etc/mail/mailer.conf (answered
yes to the previous question) and would like to enable postfix to start at
boot time, please set these variables in your /etc/rc.conf file:

sendmail_enable="YES"
sendmail_flags="-bd"
sendmail_outbound_enable="NO"
sendmail_submit_enable="NO"
sendmail_msp_queue_enable="NO"

This will disable Sendmail completely.

> What other "specific freebsd" files do I have to or should
> I modify when using postfix (for example like make.conf)?
> Where can I find more info when using postfix on freebsd?

If you want to do something different from standard setup, you may want
to edit some of the files in /etc/mail after studying the documentation.