Date:      Thu, 26 Feb 2004 18:17:05 -0500 (EST)
From:      Bjorn Dittmer-Roche <bjorn@sccs.swarthmore.edu>
To:        Ronald Klop <ronald-freebsd6@klop.yi.org>
Cc:        java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bug in jdk1.4

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004, Ronald Klop wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 15:43:14 -0500 (EST), Bjorn Dittmer-Roche
> <bjorn@sccs.swarthmore.edu> wrote:
>
> > Hey all,
> >
> > 	I'm pretty sure this is a bug in FreeBSD's java implementation,
> > but I suppose it could be a problem almost anywhere. Basically, when you
> > run the program below, the JDialog (JOptionPane) appears *behind* the
> > JWindow instead of in front of it, unless the JWindow has keyboard focus.
> > This is very bad if the window is bigger than the dialog as it obscures
> > the dialog box. Linux does not exibit this behaviour. It can be worked
> > around using an undecorated JFrame, which is what I'm doing in my big
> > application, but that's not compatible with java 1.3, and it's not
> > necessary on other platforms.
>
> I can't reproduce your problem with the test program you provide.
> java version "1.4.2-p6"
> Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build
> 1.4.2-p6-root_05_feb_2004_21_59)
> Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.4.2-p6-root_05_feb_2004_21_59, mixed
> mode)
>
> uname -a
> FreeBSD henk.thuis.klop.ws 5.2-CURRENT FreeBSD 5.2-CURRENT #7: Sun Feb 22
> 16:39:27 CET 2004     root@henk.thuis.klop.ws:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/HENK
> i386
>
> I'm using Icewm 1.2.13 as window manager.
> I suggest you try other window managers and look if they give the same
> results.

<Grumble> I tried a couple other WMs and only got this on KDE. I installed
IceWM and also tried TWM, MWM, and something I can't remember
what it was and it only happened on KDE. (BTW, I got stuck in
"failsafe" because I couldn't input anything into the xterm.
Should I file a bug report on that?) </Grumble>

Anyway, thanks for your help. Since I don't have this problem with
other apps, it might still be something with Java. What can I do now?

	bjorn