Date:      Fri, 10 Aug 2001 22:22:05 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Lamont Granquist <lamont@scriptkiddie.org>
To:        "'freebsd-stable@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: NTPD in upcoming release?

On Thu, 9 Aug 2001, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 09, 2001 at 06:44:59PM -0700, Lamont Granquist wrote:
> >
> > Is 5.0 going to let ntpd run without root permissions?
>
> I'm not sure how a non-privileged process would be able to adjust the
> system clock.  Perhaps you could do it with capabilities, although I
> don't know if there's one for that yet.

How about an ugly hack to ntp_adjtime() and whatever other syscalls ntpd
needs to add a blessed GID?  That way you run ntpd as, say, nobody/clock
and put it into a jail?

Its an ugly, ugly, ugly hack that needs to be replaced with something much
more robust.  I agree.  But you know tomorrow you could have security
holes in both IIS and ntp released, and some asshole could adapt code red
to it with a secondary payload that attacked ntpd servers and executed "rm
-rf /"  That'd probably really suck.