Date:      Wed, 29 Jan 1997 20:14:25 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Robert Chalmers <robert@nanguo.chalmers.com.au>
Cc:        bsd <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: tape dumping speed anomolies

On Thu, 30 Jan 1997, Robert Chalmers wrote:

> I notice that using rdump from the pentium, to the 486 where the tape is,
> I get throughput of 95KBytes/Sec. Yet on the 486 itself, the throughput
> is a miserable 20 KBytes/Sec. The result is of course that the rdump
> from the pentium Streams in to the tape, fast. No hesitation on the part
> of the tape at all. On the 486, the tape shoe-shines away for literally
> hours and HOURS.

This will happen if the blocksize is wrong.  Try increasing your
blocksize.

And letting it shoeshine isn't too great for the drive.

> I think the soultion will be to run up a 586-100 and put the tape in that,and
> rdump all systems to it?

That may work, but again it does depend on the block size.  This was the
solution with our Connor 4GB; we upped the blocksize to 10K and dump
streams along only stopping to move the head.

> Just coincidentally, The Archive Viper-150MB tape actually dumps and
> restores to 525MB tapes, and 250's for that matter just fine. Interesting.

This thing uses the huge DC2000 tapes, right?  I think we had one in our
server box until it was replaced with a newer, off-name brand.  Buzzes
right along though :)