Date:      Thu, 1 Aug 96 21:13:34 EDT
From:      Red Barchetta <paradox@pegasus.rutgers.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   user ppp problem

This is my third post to the list on this subject.  (The first two generated
helpful replies, but unfortunately none of them solved the problem.  Thanks
everyone!)

My situation is this:  I am running FreeBSD 2.1.5R (GENERIC kernel) on a 100
MHz Pentium with a Hayes Accura 14.4 modem on COM2.  I don't think the modem
is the problem, as it runs fine under WinNT/95, and since iijppp aborts well
before I get a chance to dial.

Upon typing 'ppp' as root to start user ppp, I get the normal series of
messages about the ppp version, and then I get:

        can't find ifindex
        open_tun: no such file or directory

and I am booted back to my own hostname prompt with out ever seeing the ppp
shell prompt ("ppp on hostname>").

A few people have suggested that I should put the line "pseudo-device tun 1"
in my kernel config and recompile.  However, as I stated above, I am booting
the GENERIC kernel, which by default since 2.0.5 has this device already (I
checked the config file just to be sure).

Others have suggested that I make sure that the tun0 device exists in /dev,
which I have done and even recreated the device using MAKEDEV, but to no avail.

When I first started trying to run user ppp, I didn't have an /etc/ppp/ppp.conf
file.  Using the mail archives and the handbook, I was able to create one
(shown below) but that still didn't help.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can get user ppp to run properly?
I don't recall having any such problem when I tried running 2.1.0R for a few
days just before the release of 2.1.5.

Thanks for the help!

Ernie Pistor

my ppp.conf:

default:
 set speed 57600
 set device /dev/cuaa1
 set ifaddr 0 0
 disable lqr
 deny lqr
 set dial "ABORT BUSY ABORT NO\\sCARRIER TIMEOUT 5 \"\" ATE1Q0 OK-AT-OK \\dATDT
\\T TIMEOUT 40 CONNECT"