Date:      Wed, 20 Oct 1999 15:07:21 +1300 (NZDT)
From:      Jonathan Chen <jonc@logisticsoftware.co.nz>
To:        Kirk Letourneau <kirkl@clipper.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Password Hack

On Mon, 18 Oct 1999, Kirk Letourneau wrote:

> I'm looking for a program to help me recover a lost root user password.  Any
> suggestions?  KL

For FreeBSD this is not required (since you can go to single user
mode, and reset the password).

For UNIX systems in general, what you need to do is to boot off
alternative media - tape, floppy, CDROM, what-have-you; installation
media usually provides you with the ability to do this. The vendor
should be able to supply you with some form of boot media as well.
You then load the drives, wipe the root password, reboot normally
and reset the root password.

Cheers.