Date:      Mon, 6 Jan 1997 11:06:50 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au (Darren Reed)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au, julian@whistle.com, luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it, proff@iq.org, danny@panda.hilink.com.au, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ipretard.c selective tcp/ip queues and throughput limiters

> However, some simple functions such as malloc() are *much* different when
> compiled for kernel vs user.
>
> You can't compile a routine in user-space that uses mbufs without doing
> some extra work.  Then you have to deal with spl's that don't exist, etc.
>
> And so on.

Yes, that's just developement environment glue.  It's trivial to hack
such code from a working kernel...

The main problem is object import/export interfaces, and allocation
triggers for the shadow objects.

It can be done.  I'm more interested in doing FS stacking layer work
in user space, which doesn't require most of the effort making everything
you might want to do work in user space.

> I was thinking about this the other day and wondered how easy would it be
> to make the kernel compile as a user process ?

I've wondered this several times now... basically, I'd like to run a
source debugged kernel on an auxillary CPU on my SMP box.  But to do
that will require religiously abstracting the HAL for interrupt handling
and page handling and similar functions where the target CPU might
conflict access with my master CPU...

*Actually*... I'd like to run a source debug on a 3 CPU SMP system from
the 4th CPU of the box...

It's a nice dream.  8-).

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert