Date:      Tue, 17 Oct 2006 03:11:58 +0200
From:      Hans Nieser <h.nieser@xs4all.nl>
To:        rick-freebsd@kiwi-computer.com
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New port: pvrxxx for Hauppauge PVR150/500

Rick C. Petty wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 17, 2006 at 01:27:42AM +0200, Hans Nieser wrote:
>> However I am having some trouble selecting different geometries. Using the
>> default geometry (which appears to be 720x576) there are no problems, but
>> with any of the others, things get stretched out, the image is clipped,
>> and the compression seems really high (i.e. I'm seeing huge compression
>> artifacts) at the 480x576 resolution.
>
> That's because the tuner needs to scale.  You'll have artifacts.  If you
> could use 360x288 I think you'd find the artifacts would disappear and the
> compression would drop.  I'm not sure if you can use geometries that aren't
> in the list though...

It doesn't seem to scale properly though, if you look at the snapshots I
linked, I am actually missing large parts of the image (the right side)
and they are stretched out of proportion, not in the way I would expect
them looking at the resolution, that is. This seems most evident with the
352x576 and 720x576 snapshots.

(after reading your next paragraph all this doesn't really matter though)

>> The reason I don't just stick to the default geometry is that the
>> compression is too low; the captured file increases by about 1.1MB per second.
>
> Welcome to the wonderful world of MPEG-2!  That's really not bad when you
> think about it.  A 300g drive (which is cheap nowadays) could hold 77 hours
> of full DVD-quality video.  If you're anticipating permanent storage you
> may wish to look at ffmpeg, mencoder, transcode, etc. and reprocess the
> video after it's saved.  I'm actually happy that it's about 1MB/s without
> artifacts!

Hmm, now that I think about it, you're right. I just wasn't quite prepared
for the reality of it I guess :)

What I'd like to do is create some kind of script to automatically record
shows at given times and either download or stream them directly from the
machine. My wifi network here at home is kind of crappy so I guess I'd
have to reencode them (with higher compression). Or maybe just stream
using VLC and have it reencode on the fly.

The machine which holds my PVR150 is actually my home-server, which just
happens to be near my TV so perhaps eventually (if I can get the tv-out on
the radeon 9200 to work) I might just try to get MythTV running on it.

Anyway, thanks for your reprocessing suggestions!