Date:      Wed, 10 Mar 1999 07:31:21 -0800 (PST)
From:      Mark Atkinson <marka@metaip.checkpoint.com>
To:        steve@ns1.cioe.com
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PAM and RADIUS? (fwd)

Since I don't subscribe to stable, I'm not sure this will make it into the
mailing archive, but...

On Thu, 4 Mar 1999, Steve Ames wrote:
> Has anyone gotten telnet authentication working with PAM and RADIUS?
> I posed this question in freebsd-isp but didn't see any takers.

yes.  It works on my 3.1 boxen.

> By RADIUS server says that its authenticating just fine but login
> is still saying denied. Frustrating.
>
> Anyone got a working pam.conf they can share?

Let's take a peek:

# Configuration file for Pluggable Authentication Modules (PAM).
#
# This file controls the authentication methods that login and other
# utilities use.  See pam(8) for a description of its format.
#
# Note: the final entry must say "required" -- otherwise, things don't
# work quite right.  If you delete the final entry, be sure to change
# "sufficient" to "required" in the entry before it.
#
# $FreeBSD: src/etc/pam.conf,v 1.1 1998/11/20 23:20:01 jdp Exp $

# If the user can authenticate with S/Key, that's sufficient.
login	auth	sufficient	pam_skey.so

# Check skey.access to make sure it is OK to let the user type in
# a cleartext password.  If not, then fail right here.
login	auth	requisite	pam_cleartext_pass_ok.so

# If you want KerberosIV authentication, uncomment the next line:
#login	auth	sufficient	pam_kerberosIV.so		try_first_pass
login 	auth	sufficient	pam_radius.so

# Traditional getpwnam() authentication.
login	auth	required	pam_unix.so			try_first_pass

> What RADIUS attributes should I be returning to make this work?

On your FreeBSD boxen you also need a /etc/radius.conf, here's an example:

# radius server ip	shared secret		time-out	re-try
192.168.1.166		admin			5		1

then on your RADIUS server:

service-type should be 'authenticate only' (attribute 8 has a value of
6) in your access-accept packet

> Where do I find more info on PAM so I can answer such questions
> myself?

% man -k pam
pam.conf(5), PAM(5) - Pluggable Authentication Modules
pam_authenticate(3)      - authenticate a user
pam_chauthtok(3)         - updating authentication tokens
pam_fail_delay(3)        - request a delay on failure
pam_open_session(3), pam_open/close_session(3) - PAM session management
pam_setcred(3)           - set the credentials for the user
pam_start(3), pam_end(3) - activating PAM
pam_strerror(3)          - return a textual description of a PAM error

also useful:

% man -k radius
radius.conf(5)           - RADIUS client configuration file

--
Mark Atkinson
Checkpoint Technologies' MetaIP Group