Date:      Sat, 22 Mar 1997 18:59:24 -0800 (PST)
From:      Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
To:        brian@awfulhak.demon.co.uk (Brian Somers)
Cc:        danny@panda.hilink.com.au, dfr@render.com, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: tun0/user ppp lockups?

> Yeeeesss, I never did understand Whistle's reasons for leaving the divert(4)
> stuff in "limbo" and *hinting* at it being useful.  I suspect there were
> reasons that ought'nt to be discussed.

Well.. there's no conspiracy or anything. I wrote the divert code
simply because it made it possible to completely separate the PPP
stuff from the address translation stuff, which made development
alltogether easier. It was only in "limbo" in the sense that for
a while we seemed to be the only people using it :-) I wanted to
release the address translation code as well but that was put on
hold in order to protect our "competitive advantage" or some
silliness like that... :-)

Also, divert sockets are more generally useful for things like
encryption, packet snooping, or whatever. The hope is that people
find them useful for doing creative experiments, prototyping, etc.

-Archie