Date:      Wed, 5 Jan 2000 16:45:31 -0800
From:      Tim Pozar <pozar@lns.com>
To:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: an FXTV suggestion

On Thu, Jan 06, 2000 at 02:08:02AM +0300, Alexei Khalimov wrote:
> Randall Hopper wrote:
>
> > What you want is a batch capture tool.  What Fxtv is is an interactive GUI
> > application.  These should be a separate apps.
> >
> > [[ I've seen this discussion before, with other tools.  First is the
> > request for batch capabilities, then the complaint from someone else that
> > doesn't even run X that they have to have X installed (allocate disk space
> > for it, download the packages, etc.), not just to compile their batch app,
> > but to run it.  The complaint is certainly justified.  ]]
>
> Well, I would be happy with something like
> fxtv -batchsave /tmp/webcam.ppm -period 60
> which will save single frame to that file every 60sec
> or save one and exit when called without -period
> (all this without starting GUI)
>
> it should not be hard to code it...

I did this way back when (~'93) with Sun's VideoPix video frame
grabber device (/dev/vfc0).  Cron would launch the program every
minute and the code would then opened the device, set the format
(size, video format, color, etc), grab a frame and spit out a YUV
image.  At that point I would run PBM to clean it up and spit out
a (then) GIF image.

Is there something like a frame grabber device for the 848 cards
that could be managed in much the same manner?

Tim
--
  Snail: Tim Pozar / LNS / 1978 45th Ave / San Francisco CA 94116 / USA
               POTS: +1 415 665 3790  Radio: KC6GNJ / KAE6247